Any K - 12 dance educator who meets the eligibility requirements and exemplifies the criteria below may be nominated for this award. NOTE: A college/university dance educator or freelance dance educator may qualify for the state award providing there are no nominees who meet the National Dance Association criteria. Aerobic dance instructors will be omitted from consideration. Eligibility requirements include:
- Current membership in INSHAPE
- Minimum of five years of teaching experience.
- Degree and certification in teaching.
- Full time teaching at time of application submission and selection.
- Minimum of 50% of total job responsibilities is teaching adapted physical education.
The applicant must be a teacher who demonstrates evidence of effective teaching in the following ways:
- Teaching creatively and utilizes various methodologies.
- Presents a balanced and sequential curriculum based on the developmental, social and psychological needs of the students.
- Emphasizes the significance of dance as an integral cultural component that enables students to understand their own cultural heritage as well as that of others.
- Promotes an understanding of dance as a creative art through the discussion of aesthetics of students' own works and/or the works of others.
- Encourages an appreciation of dance as a performing art through viewing live and/or recorded works by community and professional dance companies.
- Provides opportunities for students to share their creative work with appropriate audiences.
- Serves as a positive role model for students both in dance technique and life skills.
- Shows professional commitment through membership and active participation in local, state, regional, and/or national dance organizations.
Complete online application by April 1, 2018 ApplyApplication requires one (1) letter of recommendation from applicant's principal or colleague. The letter should be directly related to the award criteria.
Selection and Recognition Process:
- The Awards Committee will select one award recipient from the pool of qualified applicants.
- Applicants will be notified by June 1.
- The award will be presented at the State Conference in November.
- Award recipient is expected to present a session at the State Conference the following year.
Previous Award Recipents
For more information, contact:
Franklin Central High School