Any high school physical education teacher who meets the eligibility requirements and exemplifies the criteria below may be nominated for this award.
- Current membership in INSHAPE.
- Minimum of five years of teaching experience.
- Degree and certification in teaching.
- Full time teaching at time of application submission and selection.
- Minimum of 50% of total job responsibilities is teaching physical education at the high school level.
The applicant must be a teacher who:
- Conducts an appropriate physical education program as reflected in the students' individualized education programs and generally accepted standards of practice for physical education;
- Utilizes various teaching methodologies and plans innovative learning experiences to meet the needs of all students;
- Serves as a positive role model epitomizing personal health and fitness, enjoyment of activity, and sensitivity to the physical and emotional needs of all students;
- Participates in professional development opportunities;
- Provides service to the profession through advocacy, consultation, in-service training presentations and/or active membership in related professional organizations.
Complete online application by April 1, 2018 ApplyApplication requires one (1) letter of recommendation from applicant's principal or colleague. The letter should be directly related to the award criteria.
Selection and Recognition Process:
- The Awards Committee will select one award recipient from the pool of qualified applicants.
- Applicants will be notified by June 1.
- The award will be presented at the State Conference in November.
- Award recipient is expected to present a session at the State Conference the following year.
Previous Award Recipents
|2013||Kathy Newman Smith|
|2001||Mary Jo McClelland|
|1990||Lee Ann Reed|